Saturday, November 19, 2011

Introduction to a New Blog on Taxonomies


I have posted a number of blog posts on taxonomy topics, but until now those posts have not been on a blog of my own, but elsewhere: of an employer Project Performance Corporation’s blog, The Taxonomy Blog of my colleague Marlene Rockmore, and that of Earley & Associates' blog where I did some contracting work.

At first it was not certain if I had enough to say to start my own taxonomy blog. Upon completing my book, The Accidental Taxonomist, at the end of 2009, I certainly did not have much more to say on the subject after writing over 400 pages. Now in the meantime I am gaining additional experiences with taxonomies and am attending more conferences and other events, so finally feel that there are indeed more new ideas I can share about taxonomies and also more than I could post on my employer’s blog. (I have to give my co-workers turns to post, too!)  I do not plan to write another entire book on taxonomies (maybe just a chapter somewhere), so I don’t have to keep the thoughts to myself for later.

Where will my new blog post ideas come from?

As a consultant, I am constantly engaging in new taxonomy projects with new experiences, new lessons to be learned, and new insights into the field. My client names should be kept confidential, so writing complete case studies may not be feasible, but the short informal nature of a blog post is quite appropriate to share some thoughts.

I also attend a number of conferences during the course of a year, and there are always new ideas coming out of these events. Some of my blog posts will be based on my own presentation topics, but not a repeat of the slide bullets, though. Instead I will provide some commentary about the presentation topic, such as why it is significant, timely, of interest, or what my concerns are. Other posts will be my observations an ideas gleaned form what others presented.

I may decide to revisit a topic in my book for a blog post. But I could also explore some new direction of topics related to taxonomies, such as content management, information architecture, search, or digital asset management.

No comments:

Post a Comment